Monday, February 12, 2018

Vlog: Prescription Costs








Hello!  Happy Monday!  I hope you had a great weekend.  Jim had four days off but I had to work some of those days, so we didn't go out of town.  We had fun on Sunday.  We took a drive into the countryside.  I'd wanted to do that for awhile.  Sunday was the day.  We came across free-range cattle, visited a local reservoir, got to stretch our legs a bit, and enjoyed some great scenery.  I even tested my new balance skills.  Usually, I have to lean against the car or Jim to steady myself to take a photo, but not anymore!  Wheee!  It was a nice way to clear our heads and relax a bit.

Now, onto today's topic:  Prescription costs.  Do you take medication?  Do you take it on a regular basis?  Do you have insurance?  Is your medication covered by insurance?  What if it's not?  Then what?  Does the pharmacy you use have a discount program to help you out with the cost?  Do you go without necessities such as food and heat in order to pay for your medication?  Or, do you go without your medication to pay for other necessities?  

I remember seeing a guy, probably 80 years old, at a pharmacy years ago paying for his prescriptions with his extensive coin collection.  I don't think that should have to happen.  A healthy society is a productive one.  To me, it only makes sense to keep health care costs affordable so people can actually get the help they need to be healthier and more productive.  But health care costs are through the roof.  Prescription costs are through the roof.  It makes no sense.  

Here's an example from my own life:  About 15 years ago I was diagnosed with rosacea, a skin condition that, if left untreated, could lead to blindness.  It took a while to get diagnosed.  I noticed that I had a red face, especially in photos, and couldn't figure out why.  Finally, I went to the doctor and they tried all sorts of things on me.  They thought I had allergies.  Well, then I asked for a referral to a dermatologist.  It was then that I was diagnosed with rosacea.  The gene for rosacea is dormant until something, such as stress, triggers it.  It is most often found in northern Europeans.  That's me.  My mother's family came from Sweden.  

Okay, so I was diagnosed.  Then came the long process of finding a medication that worked to treat it.  Metrogel made me break out.  Another medication that was in pill form dried me out from head to toe and made me itch.  That was out.  Finally, after a lot of trial and error, we tried Finacea.  It was more naturally based--and worked well.  Yay!  But, it costs hundreds of dollars out of pocket for each tube.  Luckily, one tube lasts me a year.  Still, it's a steep price to pay.  Insurance pays little or none, and the pharmacy helps out with their discount, but it's still hundred's of dollars per tube.  That's crazy!

What experiences have you had with prescription and health care costs in general?  Are you handling it okay, or do you find yourself stressed out over it?  Are you going without other necessities in order to pay for your medications?  Here's a link to an article from Harvard Health Publishing, Harvard Medical School with examples of ways you can save on prescription medication.  I hope it's helpful to you.

Seven ways to save cash on prescription drugs .

No comments:

Post a Comment