- celebrate milestones. Of course, any friend may react positively to your good news, but the closest of your friends will get in there and celebrate your news with you. You can tell the difference between heartfelt congratulations and the halfhearted variety.
- call, text, email or visit often. If you are on her speed dial, stick with her. If you hear from him daily, weekly, at regular intervals relatively close together, or when you're sick and she just has to bring you over her homemade chicken soup to comfort you, hang onto that friend. That person cares. You may not even be especially close to her. You may not be able to tell your deepest, darkest secrets to her. You may even feel a bit intimidated by him at times. But if he's there for you, if he cares, pay attention to him. In these times of crazy busy lifestyles when friendships are dissolving due to lack of time, these types of friends are worth their weight in gold.
- are inquisitive. I'm not talking about a busy body who doesn't know how to mind her own business. I'm talking about the friend who is truly interested to know what's going on in your life. She wants to know the details of the trip you went on or the book you're reading. She wants to know how you managed to pick the career, child's name, the book, the vacation, the clothes you love so much, or what your childhood was like. Did you have a treehouse? Did you grow up in an apartment, mansion, orphanage, farmhouse? He wants to know why you feel, think and act the way you do. She wants to know what makes you tick. She's curious. These friends are awesome!
- open-minded. These friends take you as you are, 110%! They love you no matter what your house looks like, what you look like, how you dress, who you voted for, what kind of car you drive, what your sexual orientation is, what your beliefs, values, and opinions are, where you come from, how much money you make, or anything else. They are in your corner, without question.
- spontaneous. Okay, it's not necessarily that great to have friends knocking at your door at 7 AM wanting to chat or inviting you on a road trip THAT VERY SECOND. But, it can be energizing and heartwarming to answer the door and find your best friend standing there with a wide smile ready to hug you, or just to say hi and see how you're doing. They may invite you to lunch, they may just stay a minute, but you're better for it. It perks you up.
I am lucky enough to have these types of friends. They are the ones who are there for me no matter what. I can turn to them for help, a chat, anything, anytime. They make me smile. It's comforting to know I have such special friends in my life.
How about you? Do you have these types of friends? How have they enhanced your life? If not, that's okay. Everyone has a different view of friendship, and what they need as far as friendships in their day to day lives. I'd love your input on this. Thanks.