Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Vlog: Incontinence


First, my apologies for posting this a day late.  Sometimes days just get away from me.  Now, on to today's topic.

Incontinence.  It's not the most comfortable topic to talk about; that's why I'm talking about it today.

Some people with chronic health issues are incontinent.  And there could be a lot of things that come up because of it, that can put a damper on your doing what you want to do.

Some things to consider:


  • You have to know where the bathroom is.
  • You may not feel comfortable going certain places or doing certain things because you may not have access to a bathroom.  For example, some tour buses, unfamiliar cities, going on hikes in the backcountry.
  • You may not want to tell your friends and strangers about your ostomy so it's hard to travel or stay with them.
  • What if you have an accident?
  • Do you have a urostomy, ileostomy, colostomy or nephrostomy?  I have an ileostomy and I've had a temporary nephrostomy in the past.  What if your appliance/pouch leaks?  That's fun, let me tell ya.  
So, how can you live a full life with an ostomy or incontinence?

You get out there and do stuff.  Try things.  Yes, you may have an accident.  But maybe you won't.  Maybe you'll be embarrassed.  But maybe you won't.  t's frustrating, yes, but let me ask you, which would you rather do:

  • get embarrassed a time or two while out exploring your world, or
  • stay cooped up in your home staring at the wall feeling "safe" but unfulfilled?
I've traveled all over the country and world with an ostomy. I married a travel-aholic.  Where he goes, I go, if I ever want to see him.  Haha.  We don't travel nearly as much as we did when we were first married and for a stretch of years after that, but we still travel now and then. I've been padded down by security because of my ostomy--that is just what happens.  I deal with it.  They have to be certain it's not a bomb or something.

Here's what I do before/during an outing/trip:

  • Take supplies you'll need to maintain your ostomy
  • I bring everything but the kitchen sink with me, basically.  People wonder why I have such a large handbag--it's actually a backpack.  It's because I come prepared for everything.  If I'm prepared, nothing goes wrong.
  • I research areas we are going to visit to make sure I know the lay of the land, amenities, where the bathrooms are, how long the trails are, are those trails easily accessible and fairly smooth, and so on.
  • I take my medications on time (mostly).
  • I spend the time I need in the morning and in the evening in order to get ready.  I make sure all is well and I'm ready for the day or night.  It takes a chunk of time, but it's worth it not to be rushed.
  • If I don't feel right, I don't go on an outing or trip.  Those things happen.  It stinks, but I have to go with my gut and do what's best for my health and safety.
  • Send medical supplies ahead to your destination so you don't get hung up in security explaining everything.  When Jim and I were set to travel out here to Utah to check it out for a possible move, I had a nephrostomy.  So, I had all this stuff I had to bring with me to irrigate it and otherwise maintain it.  The ostomy nurse I saw locally was the one who suggested I send the irrigation supplies ahead since, even though it was medical supplies, I may have trouble getting through security with all that liquid and such.  She had flown shortly before we planned to and had to hand over some items.  It just saves a lot of headaches to send supplies ahead.  And, call the local pharmacies, hospitals, and medical supply companies to see if you can get supplies at your destination.  That would save even more grief especially if your supplies are lost in the mail.
I remember one time when I was visiting a friend at his work out of state.  One of the first things he did was tell me where the restrooms were.  Maybe he saw me looking around a bit for them.  Anyway, I loved it!  Surround yourself with people who "get" you, who understand what you need sometimes before you even have a chance to say anything.  As for the complainers?  Maybe they don't belong in your life.  Only you can decide that.

Something else I wanted to mention---a few years ago now, I think, I read that people with ostomies were starting to wear bikinis, maybe Speedos, too, I don't know.  Their ostomy and pouch were visible.  I personally wouldn't feel comfortable doing that, but if you do, go for it.  Be you, without apologizing!

I encourage you to try new things, go new places, hang out with loved ones and friends--live!  Try not to be tied so much to your health and your home.  There is so much out there for you to experience.  Start small, but do it, and expand upon it as you feel more comfortable.  Each time you venture outside your comfort zone, you will gain a bit more confidence.  And, with that confidence, well, you can do anything, go anywhere, live the most amazing life of your choosing.  Get started!







No comments:

Post a Comment