Monday, April 9, 2018

Vlog: Hosting Visitors When You Have Chronic Health Issues


When you are hosting overnight guests, you have things to do:


  • Clean the house and keep it clean
  • Entertain
  • Cook extra food
  • Play tour guide
You may also feel as if you need to be "on," up, positive, and happy the whole time.

Do you get nervous?  Love it?  Hate it?

Do you find yourself wishing for the visit to be over?  Or, do you wish they would buy a house in your neighborhood so they would have their own place to live nearby so you could see them more often?

Do you usually have a great time?

Do you talk openly about your medication schedules, mobility issues, tiring easily, food allergies, other issues?

Do you hide your medical supplies, medication, etc.?

Do you dread the thought of getting sick during their visit?  Maybe your ostomy pouch leaks on an outing?  Or you have bowel or bladder problems?  Maybe you're arthritis flares up just as they arrive so you have no choice but to back out of a planned activity?  Similar, maybe you have chronic fatigue and are just too tired to take part in the festivities?  Do you worry constantly for days or even weeks before their arrival; during their stay; and will you even worry afterward, wondering if you were just a nuisance?

Ah yes, I've been there. 

So, how do you handle it?

  • Set boundaries
  • Take naps 
  • Be honest about your needs as much as possible.
  • Make meals ahead of time.
  • Ask your guests to pitch in to help out with the dishes, laundry, and other tasks.
If these people are close enough to you to stay in your home, then they should understand.

I don't generally worry about guests coming to our house.  Everything I need is here, I get food I can eat, I have my doctor's nearby, and so on.  It's when I go away that things get a bit tricky.  When we visited our exchange student and family last year, I told them what I could and couldn't eat, and other particulars.  They were fantastic!  Our exchange student even remembered the milk that I drink and asked her mother to buy it, which she did!    I worried that I would get sick.  My best friend said, "You won't."  And I didn't!  

At least not until I got home.  Sigh.  But at least I was healthy on the trip.  That was the important thing.  I was busy, happy, exploring new places, meeting new people.  When I got home, I realized how tired I was and ended up getting sick.  But it was a great trip and I was glad I went.

How do you react to visitors?  Do you love welcoming people into your home?  Or dread it?  Have you gotten sick on trips?  Have you had health snafus happen while you hosted guests?  Let me know.  

No comments:

Post a Comment