Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Vlog: Let Your Child Do, Be, Explore



No matter what health issues your child deals with, he/she can do something.  SOMEthing!

I remember when my niece was very young, someone was trying to help her do something and she said, "No, me do!"  I cheered!  Yes, yes, yes!  Let your child do what she can on her own.  

Find what he can do and let him do it.  Let him shine!

Stay nearby, but let her walk or wheel on her own.  

Let her fold laundry.

Let him go to the grocery store as he gets older and help you decide what to buy for food that week; how to budget; how to compare prices; and so on.   

Let her have parties, and go to parties.  Get educated about what the situation is, and get prepared.  Where is the party?  Do you know the parents?  Who is chaperoning?  What will your child need to bring?  Then let her go for it!

School trips.  I went on a few school trips, but the first one alone without my mom was when I was a junior in high school.  I was too nervous and self-conscious to go before and no one pushed me to.  I was loved, no question, but I was sheltered as a kid but I didn't push back.  I made the mistake of not insisting that my family to let me do what I could do.

Sleepovers.  I had two when I was in third grade, with the same girl, at my parents' house. Again, get educated as to the circumstances, be prepared, and let your child go for it.  She may have problems, but let her try it.  Figure out what worked and didn't work this time, and adjust accordingly for next time.  

As your child gets older, teach him how to pump gas.  He may have a vehicle one day, and if he can possibly learn to fill his own car with gas, let him.  Basic maintenance, too!  

Let your child do as much as possible on her own, whether she has chronic health issues or not.  It will build confidence.  Try it from Day 1, so your child can better handle life without you.  

If your child can't possibly manage parties, budgeting, school trips, and the like, find a facility in your area that provides socialization and perhaps basic skills training.  Providing socialization opportunities for your child is so important.  Learning to deal with a variety of locations, people, situations, and so on, will help him grow up to be a more centered, balanced human being.  

No comments:

Post a Comment