Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Keeping the Peace


 
I've been thinking a lot lately about hot topics such as politics and religion and how best to act when confronted with them in a social setting.  Political and religious views are a part of life.  They are very personal.  It's easy to get hot and bothered when discussing them.  And it's also easy to get very uncomfortable when people start talking politics and religion in mixed company.  The solution?  Here's a link to an article from the  Psychology Today blog, Resolution, Not Conflict by Susan Heitler, Ph.D.  Dr. Heitler gives some good tips on how to handle this type of situation.  She specifically keys on politics, but her suggestions can also be helpful when dealing with other controversial issues and difficult circumstances.
 
I agree with Dr. Heitler's views, although I do find myself wishing I could just blurt out, "Let's not talk about that,"  or, when I'm particularly upset with someone over what I would consider a rude comment, "Get over yourself and show some respect, please."  I think it's inappropriate to talk about hot topics in mixed company--different faiths, ethnicities, political ideologies, races, genders, and the like--, and especially if you're talking to someone you just met.  But Dr. Heitler has it right.  If a controversial topic does come up, it's best not to ruffle feathers or start a debate. 
 
How about you?  Do you agree with Dr. Heitler or would you handle it a different way?  Let me know in the comment section below, or email me at amy@acnlifecoach.com.  Thanks!  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment