Sunday, March 8, 2020

Vlog: Chronic Illness and Food and Unwelcomed Advice: Have The Confidence To Do What's Right For You






Do you have chronic health issues?

Do people give you a hard time or joke about how you eat?

Or, do they give you advice about what you should be eating instead?

I've had people comment  on cranberry juice.  I mix a medication with it.  They say, Oh, but all that sugar!  I get the 100% cranberry juice and mix it with water to get about 33% juice so it's not so strong.  It has no added sugar and about 9 grams of sugar total, compared to other brands that have much higher amounts of added sugar.  So, I'm promoting urinary system health and drinking a healthier version of cranberry juice in order to do so.  Some people choose to take cranberry supplements, but I just haven't taken to them.  

Green tea is another drink I get advice on.  It's so good for you!  I have been advised by my doctor, though, to limit green tea for health reasons (high blood pressure and osteoporosis, if my memory serves me correctly.  It's been awhile since I was told.  I'm not crazy about green tea--or any tea, really--anyway, so I just filed it in the "do not consume" column in my brain and that was that).  

Protein, too.  When I was working with trainers at the gym years ago, they showed some concern over the fact that I'm supposed to eat a low protein diet to help maintain kidney health.  They were respectful of it, but let me know that, without boosting my protein, I wouldn't be growing too much muscle.  They could work with what I had to firm things up, but not much was going to be built beyond that without extra protein.  I still eat fish, chicken and some pork, as well as other sources of protein without really measuring how much I take in. But, I don't take protein supplements. My test results are consistently within acceptable range using this method, so I must be doing something right.  

Get educated about your health issues, your body, and do what is right for you.

There is so much information available online and off.  If you have any questions about what you should and should not be eating, consult reliable sources for answers:  your doctor--or a team of doctors, registered dietician, respected, peer-reviewed medical journal articles, scientific studies, and others.   Choose wisely and make sure to back it up.

Have the confidence to eat what you need to and go without what you have to in order to take care of yourself.  Please don't feel guilty or weird for not taking others' advice when it could compromise your health.  It doesn't matter what Joe down the street does.  It doesn't matter what Molly from work eats.  We each have our unique nutritional needs.  

Briefly explaining it to the person who is giving advice or ribbing you about your food choices might help to educate them help them to better understand where you are coming from and get them off your back.  That is completely up to you.  It's your body.  It's your life.  It's your decision what to share and what not to share with others no matter the nature of your relationship.

If you have any questions or comments for me, leave them in the comments below or email me at amy@acnlifecoach.com.  Please note, though, that I am not a physician or registered dietician, so I cannot give medical advice.  See you back here next Sunday.  Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment