Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Vlog: Using Your Imagination To Relieve Stress and Promote Healing, Part 1



Hi all!  I'm back from vacation.  We had a good time in California celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and visiting a friend.  

This vlog is a summary of how I used imagination to relieve stress throughout my life, especially during my early years.  


  • I invented an imaginary world in my bedroom from as far back as I can remember where I was healthy, strong, talented, popular, married, a mom, working at a job I loved, and so on.  
  • I worked out problems
  • Practiced conversations that I would have with doctors, teachers, family members, friends, and job interviewers
  • I was creative: drawing, painting, singing, dancing, writing for hours on end.
  • It freed me from the stress, provided an escape, at least temporarily
  • It helped me build confidence
I did overdo it a bit as I got into my teens, spending as much time as possible in my sanctuary.  That probably wasn't as healthy as tempered imagination would have been, but I say it still benefited me and may have saved my life.  I was very insecure, lost, depressed throughout my childhood as a result of dealing with my chronic health issues, surgeries, pain, doctor's appointments, therapies, and so on.  And I hated using a wheelchair.  I felt like it made me stick out rather than giving me freedom and mobility.  The imaginary world I created gave me a much-needed break from the stress.

In Part 2, I'll talk about how imagination can ease stress and promote healing as well as how to actually tap into your imagination and use it for good rather than negative means.  

Do you use your imagination for stress relief?  Or do you use it to worry, imagining the worst?  What type of results have you seen?

Part 2 will be coming soon.   Take care.



No comments:

Post a Comment